Monitoring African Sovereign Risk
Independent economic and political research on Africa
NKC African Economics investigates and interprets the sovereign risk, and political and macroeconomic conditions, of 30 African countries to caution against pitfalls and guide investors towards opportunities. NKC has a strong reputation for independence and quality and has a highly qualified team of economists, econometricians, quantitative analysts, political analysts, and editors, who are all experts in their field and have decades of experience in covering Africa. Insights are provided within the context of comprehensive knowledge of the African continent, its history, and each country’s unique political and economic setting.
Oxford Economics recently acquired a majority stake in NKC, to support its strategy to strengthen its analysis and forecasts for Africa’s major economies.
Oxford Economics already provides deep analysis of African economies, with regular country reports, forecast databanks, unique city forecasts for 96 locations in 43 countries, and custom forecasts and analysis. To this NKC will add their event-driven commentary and regular reports on economic and political events, providing comprehensive subscription-based coverage that will benefit organisations monitoring risks or opportunities to their investments or operations in Africa.
For investment professionals
Despite an abundance of information on Africa, there is a shortage of rigorous, independent research and accurate analysis to drive superior investment decisions.
NKC consistently provides exact, unbiased and comprehensive reports on the sovereign risk and macroeconomic conditions of 30 African countries.
How investment professionals use our research:
- Inform sound investment decisions
- Identify and analyse risk
- Project key economic indicators
- Anticipate currency movements
For business leaders
Political insight are at the heart of successful Africa strategies and effective risk management practices. Our research fuels competitive advantage and enterprise growth.
Services range from daily updates to in-depth analysis of domestic economies and their political landscapes. We are skilled forecasters with proven success in anticipating events and interpreting consequences from a business perspective.
How business leaders use our research:
- Inform robust Africa strategies
- Develop effective risk management practices
- Identify opportunities for investment, competitive advantage, expansion and growth
- Talking Points: Comments on Africa’s important economic and political events as they occur, or as a consolidated report (Daily Insight) containing the day’s Talking Points.
- Fixed Income Report: Insight into key economic and political events which could influence trading in African markets, with notification of upcoming events.
- Africa In Focus: Overview of the week’s events and developments.
- Political Risk Report: Developments in countries in which future developments could pose a threat to political stability and affect foreign investment.
- SA Political Commentary: In-depth analysis of political events in South Africa and the implications for the local business and investment environments.
- SA Daily Economic Report: Two page update on the most important events seen in and affecting the SA market.
- Country Reports: Each quarter’s significant economic, political and financial market developments for 30 countries. Data is reviewed and analysed from economic and political perspectives.
- Infrastructure Report: Assessment of infrastructure in select African countries and its impact on development and growth; development challenges and priorities; project prospects; development partners and funding.
Ad hoc services
- Identification of export opportunities to African countries;
- Research, analysis, models and forecasts on the evolution of the Africa consumer;
- Scenario planning and stress testing through econometric modelling;
- Sourcing of industry-specific data and competitor analysis;
- Thematic reports, commentary and analysis to address specific topics, themes or countries;
- Model building to assist with sales and volume forecasts;
- Strategy sessions and presentations to boards and C-level executives;
- Africa due diligence-related services, including:
- Profiling of executives and political figures in terms of background, capabilities and ambitions;
- Analysing shareholder and non-shareholder behaviour;
- Facilitating relationships with local lawmakers and regulators.
NKC is proud of its official status as a Level 3 BEE contributor.
Fri, 29 May 2015 15h34
NKC Independent Economists will be renamed NKC African Economics.
Tue, 14 Apr 2015 15h17
View and download a concise risk analysis and economic forecast for the Central and West African region, April 2015.
Mon, 30 Mar 2015 11h45
Download expert opinion from our analyst, Calumet Links, covering the Franc Zone.
Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10h52
Expert opinion from our analyst, Jacques Verreynne, covering North Africa.
Thu, 05 Feb 2015 16h01
Political risk ratings, key issues and economic forecasts for Southern Africa.